Thursday, February 23, 2012

Static vs. Dynamic Technologies


The static to dynamic continuum provides a platform to assess technologies and their appropriate use in various learning environments. The static side of the continuum is good for introducing knowledge. For instance, a difficult concept can be introduced using a Podcast. This will allow the learner to gain basic knowledge about the concept. Static technologies can be used to scaffold knowledge about the concept. On the dynamic side of the continuum, we find technologies such as virtual worlds, gaming, and social media. According to McGreal and Elliott (2008) these types of technology prolong the interest of the learner and promote collaboration. Technologies that support learning outcomes typically enhance the learning environment.

On the static-dynamic continuum, I find myself in the middle. I try to use the technology that best supports my purpose for incorporating technology. In addition, I like to have a good handle on the technology resource. In terms of moving to the dynamic end, I try out new applications and tools and once I can fit it into a project I use it.

Reference:
McGreal, R.M.,&Elliott, M.(2008). Technologies of online learning (e-learning). In T. Anderson (Ed.), The theory and practice of online learning (pp.143-165).Edmonton, AB: Athabasca University Press.


I commented on:

Sue Beer
http://sue-educ7102.blogspot.com/2012/02/concept-map-static-versus-dynamic.html#comment-form

Lisa Durff
http://durffsblog.blogspot.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment